Platform9 Enables Cadence to Optimize a Cloud-First Approach for Its Internal Engineering InfrastructureJanuary 17, 2018
Platform9, the next-generation open cloud company, today announced Cadence Design Systems, Inc. has deployed Platform9’s open cloud solution to transform its legacy IT environment to a cloud environment. Designed to provide operational flexibility and ease of use, Platform9’s open cloud platform delivers a full stack of cloud technologies, including OpenStack and Kubernetes, that can manage across any infrastructure and help customers achieve rapid time to value at enterprise scale.
As Cadence’s business has evolved to enable more complex solutions for semiconductor and system companies, high-performance computing (HPC) became a critical need for its engineering team. This, along with the need to enhance internal engineering productivity and consolidate legacy and modern business apps, prompted the Cadence team to simplify and modernize its IT operating environment with a cloud-first approach.
"As we continue to challenge traditional thinking in the industry, we needed a solution for scaling our IT operations that would meet strict industry guidelines, enhance developer productivity and align with our long-term product delivery strategy," said Carl Siva, vice president of IT at Cadence. "After considering several products and services, we selected Platform9 because it delivers widely used cloud frameworks such as OpenStack and Kubernetes, spans multiple regions across the globe, lets us easily establish a cloud environment in compliance with semiconductor industry requirements, and ultimately, provide our engineering team with resources on-demand via an automated self-service platform."
Platform9 met automation requirements by enabling a true SaaS managed experience across industry-standard cloud frameworks such as OpenStack, without the need for expensive and time-consuming professional services or dedicated hardware for deploying the control plane. The Cadence team has realized several benefits with Platform9, including:
- Rapid time to value: The Cadence IT team now provides cloud infrastructure on-demand to its developers through a "Click to Compute" program, which has enabled increased engineering productivity and the successful deployment of HPC applications.
- Global single management pane: Cadence leverages Platform9’s SaaS architecture to provide a single pane experience, with unified identity management and governance controls, across a geo-distributed infrastructure.
- Improved infrastructure efficiency: By leveraging a cloud platform for all workload provisioning, infrastructure is over-provisioned resulting in a >20 percent increase in capacity utilization. As a result, the increased demand for infrastructure resources from the developer community has been met without increasing hardware investments or capex budgets.
- Significant cost and resource savings: The cloud deployment did not require dedicated incremental resources to manage, so the Cadence engineers had more time to focus on solving core business problems. Additionally, the cost of deploying the private cloud environment with Platform9 was significantly lower in cost than other solutions.
- Access to future application architectures: By providing access to a full stack of cloud frameworks across OpenStack for VM-based workloads, the Cadence IT team is providing greater choice to their engineering team and accelerating adoption of cloud native technologies as a next-generation architecture. Kubernetes container technology, provided by Platform9, is also being explored by Cadence IT, and in the future, may be a key factor in its plan to continue to increase its footprint in public and private clouds.
"In addition to providing an out-of-the-box cloud experience with SaaS, Platform9 takes a tailored approach to ensure customer success with large-scale enterprise cloud projects," said Madhura Maskasky, co-founder and VP of product at Platform9. "Enterprise IT teams operating at scale have to design and deliver for complex, diverse requirements. The Cadence global rollout was successful because of careful joint planning and execution and a close partnership across our teams to ensure we delivered the experience their users desire."
To learn more about how Cadence and Platform9 are working together, read the case study at http://bit.ly/pf9cadence