Why Cloud Computing Is (Almost) All Software

Grazed from Forbes. Author: Adrian Bridgwater.

Does anybody even make hardware any more? You’d be forgiven for asking the question, even if it does sound slightly ridiculous. But thinking about it… apart from the device you’re reading this on and the hardware in the server racks in the cloud datacenter serving this website, is anyone even making that much hardware?

The ‘trouble’ is, the whole world has gone software-defined and that means some of what we used to do with hardware, we now do with software. F5 Networks CTO Karl Triebes says that 90 percent of his firm’s innovation and development time is devoted to software, with the remaining 10 percent still focused on the hardware products that his firm is perhaps better known for...

F5 makes Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) to optimise the delivery and security of network-based applications. These things are physical things that come in a box i.e. they are hardware...

Read more from the source @ http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianbridgwater/2015/05/19/why-cloud-computing-is-almost-all-software/